Monday, November 20, 2017

“When all else fails, there’s always delusion.” - Anonymous

From “The Human Condition: A User’s Manual,” by Arnold Kunst
20 November
LIFE IN PRISON, PART THREE
I remember at one point in my teaching career in the prison system I taught a class called “Re-entry.” It was designed to equip guys for success who were approaching parole, and covered things like mock job interviews, taking the DMV test, anger management strategies and the like. It only lasted 3 weeks which wasn’t much, but it was at least a step in the right direction. It was open to any guy within six months of being paroled. Recruiting happened during what was called “dead day” – the day after one 3-week session and before the beginning of the next. On that day, arned with a computer printout of eligible guys, I’d make the rounds of the housing units to drum up a littlle business.
I remember talking to one guy about the class who, although eligible, said he didn’t need it. I told him, “Do you realize that 72% of all parolees in the state of California will return to prison inside 3 years of their parole?” “Doesn’t apply to me,” he answered. “Why’s that?” I asked. Here’s the answer that stopped me in my tracks: “I'm paroling to Nevada.”


No comments:

Post a Comment