Monday, November 20, 2017

“There’s no ‘I’ in ‘Teamwork.’” - Anonymous

From “The Human Condition: A User’s Manual,” by Arnold Kunst
17 November
Life is all about teamwork. You may be able to conjure up an internet link with an electrical outlet and a paper clip, but try doing a John Travolta “Saturday Night Fever” look-alike dance and you’d probably end up looking like a wooden Indian on steroids. It’s that way in marriages too. Sometimes I’m The One and she’s in the background. Sometimes not. Christmas is tomorrow. She’s The Master Chef and I screw up boiling water. So while she’s preparing a stuffing to die for, I peel the potatoes and carrots. While she conjures up mince pies straight from heaven, I take out the garbage and set the table. While she bakes Christmas cookies sending flour in all directions in the process I wash pots and pans and bowls and stirring things, and wipe down counters so that the kitchen, which she constantly messes up while in the throes of  her culinary creative passion, is more or less constantly clean – just the way she likes it. Tomorrow’s main meal will more than make up for everything – I’m good for doing the scullery maid grunt thing all day long and give her the glory she so richly deserves because, quite frankly, it’s cheap at the price. 


No comments:

Post a Comment