Wednesday, August 16, 2017

“Great self-destruction follows upon unfounded fear.” – Ursula K. Le Guin


From “Lincoln  365,” by Arnold Kunst
August 15
Nobody was as passionate about reconciliation between North and South as Lincoln. According to the Pulitzer-prize winning biography of Lincoln by Carl Sandburg, at one point the President was visiting the sick and wounded, and came on a tent with Confederate wounded. Shot-torn in both hips lay Henry L. Benbow, a Confederate Colonel, and according to Colonel Benbow, ‘the President halted beside my bed and held out his hand. I was lying on my back, my hands folded across my breast. Looking him in the face I said, “Mr. President, do you know who it is to whom you offer your hand?” “I do not,” he replied. I said, “You offer it to a Confederate colonel who has fought you as hard as he could for four years!” “Well,” said he, “I hope a Confederate colonel will not refuse me his hand.” “No sir,” I replied, “I will not,” and I clasped his hand in both of mine.'

'We must learn to live together as brothers or we will perish together as fools.'
- Martin Luther King, Jr.


No comments:

Post a Comment