Thursday, January 1, 2015

FROM LINCOLN TO AMERICA: "BE MORE LIKE ME"

"It"s New Years Resolution time, and I have a few for you. (I never would have said anything like this when I was alive, but Booth changed everything!)
"As a people you're not nearly as prone to violence as in my day, but you're every bit as silly, as sad, as incendiary. So try this on for size - hopefully you'll be better at following thus advice in your day than my trigger-happy contemporaries were in mine:
'Passion has helped us; but can do so no more. It will in future be our enemy. Reason, cold, calculating, unimpassioned reason, must furnish all the materials for our future support and defense.'
And finally, honor the challenge implied in the second part of this quote, frontal assault and all:
'I don't like that man; I must get to know him better' - that'll give off all the right sparks, don't you agree?
"Your friend,

"A. LINCOLN"

No comments:

Post a Comment