Thursday, May 23, 2013

Humor and Politics, Part 1

The story goes that during his campaign for the House of Representatives in 1846 Lincoln's Democratic opponent was a fire-and-brimstone preacher named Peter Cartwright.

During the course of the campaign Lincoln went to one of Cartwright's services. When Cartwright said, "All who desire to give their lives to God and go to heaven will please stand." A sprinkling of men, women and children stood up, but not Lincoln. The preacher then exhorted, "All who do not wish to go to hell will please stand." Once again people stood up - except Lincoln.

Cartwright, as one might imagine, was sensitive that his political opponent was there, in that very congregation, so, in his gravest voice, he said, "I observe that all of you save one responded to the first invitation to give their lives to God and go to heaven. And I further observe that all of you save one indicated that you did not desire to go to hell. The sole exception in both instances was Mr. Lincoln, who did not respond to either invitation. May I inquire of you, Mr. Lincoln, where you are going?"

Lincoln slowly rose: "I came here as a respectful listener. I did not know that I was to be singled out by Brother Cartwright. I believe in treating religious matters with due solemnity. I admit that the questions propounded by Brother Cartwright are of great importance.

"I did not feel called upon to answer as the rest did. Brother Cartwright asks me directly where I am going. I desire to reply with equal directness. I am going to Congress."

No comments:

Post a Comment