Monday, October 15, 2012

Victory Speeches with a Difference

Victory speeches with a difference
Lincoln’s victory speeches are distinctive to say the least. Every other politician in the world, whether he’s just been elected president or dogcatcher, reacts in exactly the same way: he gives a victory speech full of references to the historic sweep of what just took place; he will now begin the process of fulfilling all those  [sweeping] promises, everything will be different now that we’ve swept the crooks out of office and the new millennium has dawned.

Lincoln sounds a far different tone. Listen to him after winning the Presidency in 1860: “I have been selected to fill an important office for a brief period, and am now, in your eyes, invested with an influence which will soon pass away; but should my administration prove to be a very wicked one, or what is more probable, a very foolish one, if you, the people are but true to yourselves and to the Constitution, there is but little harm I can do, thank God!”

And again in 1860, “In all our rejoicing let us neither express, nor cherish, any harsh feeling towards any citizen who, by his vote, has differed with us. Let us at all times remember that all American citizens are brothers of a common country, and should dwell together in the bonds of fraternal feeling.” [One wonders, will the victor of the November, 2012 presidential election sound anything like a similar sentiment?]

And finally, ‘I am thankful to God for this approval of the people [he had just been re-elected President in 1864]. But while deeply grateful for this mark of their confidence in me if I know my heart my gratitude is free from any taint of personal triumph. I do not impugn the motives of any one opposed to me. It is no pleasure to me to triumph over any one; but I give thanks to the Almighty for this evidence of the people's resolution to stand by free government and the rights of humanity.'


No comments:

Post a Comment