Sunday, October 21, 2012

Abraham Lincoln: Appearances aren't Everything


Early in January 1861, a Colonel Alex McClure received a telegram from President-elect Lincoln, asking him (McClure) to visit him at Springfield.

Colonel McClure described his disappointment at first sight of Lincoln with these words: “I went directly from the depot to Lincoln's house and rang the bell, which was answered by Lincoln himself opening the door. I doubt whether I wholly concealed my disappointment at meeting him.  Tall, gaunt, ungainly, ill-clad, with a homeliness of manner that was unique in itself, I confess that my heart sank within me as I remembered that this was the man chosen by a great nation to become its ruler in the gravest period of its history.

“I remember his dress as if it were but yesterday - snuff-colored and slouch pantaloons, open black vest, held by a few brass buttons; evening dress-coat, with tightly fitting sleeves to exaggerate his long, bony arms, and all supplemented by an awkwardness that was uncommon among men of intelligence. Such was the picture I met in the person of Abraham Lincoln.”

Before McClure left that meeting he was impressed, as so many others who initially dismissed this gangly, uncouth-looking trial lawyer from the middle of nowhere, by how earnest and intelligent - and maybe even wise? – he actually was.

No comments:

Post a Comment